Friday, April 14, 2023

Foul Lady Fortune by Chloe Gong

Book: Foul Lady Fortune by Chloe Gong

Rating: 3.5 stars 

Reviewer: Angelina C.



Rosalind Lang is an immortal assassin from 1930s Shanghai, working to erase her mistakes by helping her country. In order to do so, she must go undercover to uncover the secrets behind the recent murders in Shanghai, and the only way to accomplish that is by working with another spy and posing as a married couple with him. But the mystery runs deeper than they know, and so do the secrets they keep from one another. 


Compared to Chloe Gong’s previous books, I found this book lacking. The pacing was a little too slow for my liking and several plot points were somewhat predictable (which isn’t necessarily a bad thing) and eerily similar to what Marvel’s Bucky Barnes goes through. Despite this, I had to know the answers to the mysteries that arose over the course of the book. Also, I thought the setting and characters were intriguing as always and can’t wait to see more of them in the sequel. I love how the author makes sure that the supporting characters are just as interesting and fun, if not more fun, than the main characters, and that they actually contribute to the plot. One thing that I found particularly annoying about this book is the occasional switch from third person past tense limited to third person present tense omniscient. I am aware that this is part of her writing style, but I find it jarring as it takes me out of the book, even if it does ultimately reveal necessary information. As for the romance aspect of this book, it was fun and I was definitely rooting for them, though several aspects and moments fit snuggly into certain tropes, making it a little less original. Overall, this book may have its flaws, but it was a fun read and I will definitely be reading the sequel. This book will appeal to fans of mystery and spies with a supernatural twist and those who can’t get enough of the enemies to lovers trope.

 


No comments:

Post a Comment